Thursday, July 29, 2004

Rodent Issues

My (enormously expensive optical) mouse has gone nuts. It has trouble distinguishing between single-clicks and double-clicks. About 70% of the time, it will interpret a single-click as a double. It wasn't until it started doing this that I noticed how much I use the damn thing for text selection and editing. It's driving me crazy.

It seems to be a hardware problem, cos I've reinstalled the drivers and tried other mice. Apparently Intellipoint optical mice are prone to this problem, when a tiny bit of metal cracks inside. I haven't been mistreating it much though (not half as badly as my keyboard at any rate). I'm sorely tempted to crack it open and have a look around (not gonna be easy to do without breaking it though...no screws), but I think it might still be under warranty. If I'm really unpleasant to the folk in Dixons, they might give me a new mouse.

The other thing nettling me at the moment is that my internet access has gone flaky. No-one else in the house has any problem. The data-rate has slowed to a crawl, and it fails DNS lookups every second page. It's peculiar. Some sites (like work mail, skynet) I can reach without trouble...but clicking on links almost never works. Instead I have to paste the link into a new browser window and hit refresh a few times and it may (if I'm lucky) load up. It took a hell of a lot of refreshing to get here. I might try Firefox (or whatever it's called these days), if I can find an installer somewhere.

It's funny how two relatively minor issues with my wagon can distress me so much. That's probably not a good thing.

I sense an almighty windows reinstall coming up.